Preheat oven to 400F and lightly grease an 8 or 9 inch square or round pan and set aside. (Feel free to use a cast iron skillet if you prefer. )(See my notes below to make corn muffins.)
Melt butter and set aside to cool while assembling the rest of the ingredients.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, cooled butter, and eggs. Whisk to combine.
Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together just until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown on top and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Let cornbread cool for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into pieces and serving.
- Sugar can be reduced to 1/4 cup if you prefer. It can be replaced with light or dark brown sugar as well. You can also add a couple tablespoons of honey for a sweeter cornbread.
- To make corn muffins, simply grease 12 muffin cups or line with liners and divide the batter equally. Bake for the same amount of time.
- Don’t have buttermilk? Make your own by using vinegar or fresh lemon juice. Here’s how:
- Add three teaspoons of the vinegar (just use plain white vinegar) or lemon juice to a glass measuring cup, like a Pyrex.
- Add whole milk (room temperature!) until it measures 1 1/4 cup.
- Stir to combine and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes before using in this recipe.
Any 8 inch or 9 inch baking dish will work. I used the larger one from this set. If you want skillet cornbread, use can use an 8-inch cast iron skillet , 9 inch cast iron skillet, or a 10 inch cast iron skillet.